If you have children in school no doubt you have heard of a “waste-free-lunch”. The idea is to help reduce the waste of throw-away packaging in our schools and help stop litter ending up in our water ways and polluting the environment. Often times a healthy lunch is also good for your child’s waste line when it’s a waste free lunch. Packing a waste-free-lunch means packing healthy snacks without any packaging. Every piece of packaging or unwanted food that we throw away not only creates waste it also costs your family money. You’ll be surprised at how this idea will also save you money.
Much of the trash we generate comes from the packaging on the food we buy, and lunch foods are no exception. In fact, it has been estimated that on average a school-age child using a disposable lunch generates 30 Kilos of waste per school year. That equates to 8509 Kilos of lunch waste for just one average-size elementary school. Imagine how much waste you would avoid if you packed waste-free every day? So why make the choice to protect our environment and choose to pack a waste-free lunch everyday!
You can help your child reduce unnecessary packaging and food waste by:
- including only what your child can eat;
- buying non-perishable foods in bulk and packing them in reusable containers or bags;
- choosing products and packaging that can be recycled or composted and aim to avoid waste entirely.
- including a reusable ice pack pack for any items that need refrigeration to keep the items fresh.
Everything in a waste-free lunch can be eaten, reused, or composted is a good way to help you remember how to pack your child’s waste-free lunch.
Lunchskins sandwich wraps are a great way to pack a sandwich. A Lunchskin is a reusable pocket that has a Velcro tag to keep your sandwich locked tight and out of sight. It keeps your sandwich fresh and offers a healthy natural alternative to plastic wrap or ziplock bags.
Here’s an example of what a ‘Waste-Free Lunch’ might look like:
- sandwiches wrapped in a sandwich wrap or pocket
- fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and treats packed in a reusable lunch container
- a reusable spork
- a reusable kids drink bottle
- a reusable lunchbox
- all packed in an insulated lunch bag
Pack your child a waste-free lunch every day and remember to pack your own waste-free lunch for work as well to make a real difference to our environment.